Technical Advisor, Public Private Mix (PPM), USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division (Adv#105/2020)
icddr,b is a Bangladesh-based international health research institute that strives to solve key public health problems through high-quality scientific research and innovation. Established 60 years ago, we continue to provide life-saving services to the people of Bangladesh, and to nurture the next generation of global health leaders.
National employment opportunities 2020 ICDDR
Applications from women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
icddr,b invites applications from suitable candidates for the position of Technical Advisor, Public Private Mix (PPM), USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh with Programme for Emerging Infections under the Infectious Diseases Division. The appointment will be made on Fixed Term basis for 1 year which is renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
The USAID’s Alliance for Combating TB in Bangladesh (ACTB) project will develop a dynamic, strategic, and fresh approach to accelerate Bangladesh’s fight against TB. The solutions will be aimed at creating an environment aligned with the universal health coverage (UHC) vision and focused on defined priority areas – increased TB detection, decentralized DR-TB management, child TB, expanded prevention and others.
The Technical Advisor (PPM), reporting to the Chief of Party is an expert in implementing public-private mix and has a deep understanding of the market forces, ideally an qualified public health professional with experience of working in private sector with TB. The position will be responsible for leading the PPM component of the program in order to provide technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction for involvement of private sector in the TB program. The position holder will oversee implementing the planned PPM activities of the ACTB project in collaboration other Technical Advisors and the National Tuberculosis Program (NTP) and partners. The PPM Advisor will represent ACTB in PPM related national and subnational technical meetings and must build good rapport with partners and stakeholders. S/he will be accountable for ensuring highest level of compliance with award conditions, organizational policies and procedures, and acceptable standards.
Duties and responsibilities
Strategic and Technical Leadership
- Provide technical leadership and direction on PPM to ensure that the program achieve it’s goals, objectives and targets;
- Provide input from PPM component to quarterly and annual reports;
- Assist MEL staff in preparation of consolidated progress reports and related activities for project management including identification of problems, causes of potential bottlenecks in project implementation, and providing specific recommendations.
Strategy Development and Project Implementation
- Work closely with NTP and other stakeholders to design and implement PPM strategies;
- Cooperate and oversee the execution of PPM and related activities included in the annual work plan across all consortium partners;
- Provide assistance to develop annual work plans, ensuring alignment with project strategy, annual targets and proper inclusion of PPM activities in the work plan;
- Work on the revival and strengthening of the PPM working group;
- Updating of the National Strategic Plan for PPM, monitoring the implementation of the identified activities in the formulated Strategic PPM Plan such as Scale up of a mandatory notification system, the strengthening of the referral system, the engagement of graduate private practitioners and non-formal providers in DOTS and the scaling up of SEM model;
- Work closely with all ACTB project staff members to effectively implement the project supported plan in the country.
- Conduct visits to supported sites as required to provide technical support to health facility staff, in consultation with the Chief of Party/Head Technical Team/Project Coordinator;
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to the Government agencies and other counterparts and stakeholders;
- Provide regular site level mentorship, come-up with workable ideas/recommendations and forward/discuss with TB technical team lead and Chief of Party;
- Liaise with partners and Govt. stakeholders to implement PPM activities;
- Maintain strong partnerships and regular communication with the project partners, and other key stakeholders.
- Promote a spirit of collegiality and gender diversity amongst team members and in the organisation;
- Encourage team members to collaborate across areas; Address and resolve any diversity related issues;
- Set goals and conduct appraisals for the team; Set high standards and confront poor performance where needed;
- Mentor young professionals and prepare them for higher responsibilities; Identify and reward high performers; Recommend promotions;
- Take appropriate actions to manage poor performance (such as creating Performance Improvement Plans, coaching, job rotations, planning separations from icddr,b in order to build and develop an engaged and high performing team.
Required experience and qualifications*
Master’s degree in public health or related field.
Minimum 6 years of experience in public health programs; Preference will be given to those who have experience in providing technical assistance in developing and implementing PPM projects; Knowledge of TB program and previous experience in working in development projects especially those funded by USAID will add extra value; Candidate should have proven track record of successful capacity building and association with PPM projects that have reached closure and willingness to travel in remote area of Bangladesh.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and team management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to build consensus and resolve conflicts
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in English and proficiency in Bangla
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Possesses a drive for excellence
- Superior decision-making skills
- Familiarity with the TB PPM best practices;
- Proven ability to find non-traditional means of accomplishing objectives;
- Ability to prepare manuals and training materials;
- Excellent proficiency in word processing software (such as MS Office applications);
- Proven ability to build capacity in counterparts;
Collaboration & Partnerships
- Capacity to deal with professional bodies, public and private sectors;
- Ability to enlist engage and link partners and stakeholders in accomplishing the greater objective
- Ability to interact and advise senior host-government counterparts on policy and other strategic planning issues
- Capacity to effectively resolve conflict and overcome resistance to change
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills, and attention to detail
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
Salary: Annual Tk. 21,20,860/- inclusive of house rent and conveyance allowances and other admissible benefits.
Benefits/facilities: 14.8% provident fund contribution, income tax paid by icddr,b, children allowance @Tk.1,917/- per child per month, festival bonus, contributory healthcare support including dependent spouse and children, group life insurance and subsidized canteen. Transport and daycare facilities are subject to space availability.
Interested candidates who fulfill the requirements should submit online applications using icddr,b website: career.icddrb.org by July 21, 2020. Internal candidates must mention their Identification Number in the application and their performance appraisal of last 3 years will be evaluated.
Only short-listed candidates shall be invited for interview.
The Organization reserves the right to make an appointment at a grade lower than that advertised.